Monday, January 19, 2009

Stop it, already...

Short story, cuz I've only heard one side, my dad and his only living sister are estranged. He pissed her off several years ago, she packed her stuff (at his house for a visit) and left. Aunt M has a daughter in Washington. Two years ago, dad and stepmonster were going on a cruise. Gonna drive to Seattle, then a little further (2hrs, one way) to see cousin K. Dad got an infection in his foot and they canceled the trip.

It's 2009, dad and stepmonster need a vacation wicked bad. I get the BRILLIANT idea to take that cruise. We make all plans, all they need do is pay their way. First day I mentioned it to him, he says he wants to see K. I say, "that won't be possible" in a very curt way. What he wants to do is try to get back in with his sister before he dies (he'll be 81 in April). K is mid-50's and certainly more able-bodied than he is. She has made no effort to see him, and from what I can figure, she hasn't called/written him with any regularity either.

We've mapped a plan, and we're cruising in/out of San Francisco. No chance of seeing K unless she met us in Victoria, B.C., our last stop before we head back to Cali. Hmmmm...maybe I could try to set that up...but that requires contacting Aunt M (whom I still have a relationship with...exchange Christmas cards/occasional e-mail) to get K's info. Dunno. Will have to think about that.

It's unfortunate that my dad is talking about dying. Not death itself or that he's ready to check out, but that he said, "this will be the last time I'll get a chance to see her" (with regard to K). He also is frustrated that he's "incompetent" to do the work around his property that he started 20+ years ago and now can't finish (cuz he's too eff'n stubborn to hire a contractor at a going rate and get it done...claiming he can't afford it. I'll have to ask him if he can afford NOT to).

So, here I am, potentially setting myself up for disappointment (again), but hopeful that stepmonster can manage him. The good news is that when I just got off the phone with him, it sounded like he's on board (no pun intended) with focusing on the vacation. (I suggested to him that he send money to K and have her come to him...I don't think she needs his money, I think she just doesn't feel the importance of seeing him as much as he feels the importance of reconnecting with his sister...apples and oranges, but he'd never see it like that...sigh...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home